Chocolate, marmalade and ginger steamed pudding
- 175g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
- 1/2 cup (170g) marmalade
- 50g crystallised ginger, plus 2tbs ginger syrup
- 1 1/4 cup (175g) plain flour
- 45g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- Custard or ice cream, to serve
- Generously grease a 1.2L pudding basin with butter and line the base with a circle of baking paper. Butter a large square of foil.
- Spoon the marmalade into the base of the pudding basin and set aside.
- Using a fork or balloon whisk, whisk the flour, cocoa, baking powder and a pinch of salt together in a bowl.
- In a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a little of the flour mixture if it starts to curdle. Stir in the flour mixture and enough of the milk to form a soft dropping consistency. Fold in the chopped ginger.
- Spoon mixture into the basin and smooth the top. Make 2 pleats in the centre of prepared foil, place buttered- side down and secure with string around the rim. Place an upturned saucer in a large pan and place basin on top. Pour in enough boiling water to come one- quarter way up the side of the basin. Cover with a lid and simmer for 1 hour 45 minutes, topping up with more boiling water if needed.
- Carefully remove the basin from the pan, run a knife around the sides to loosen and invert onto a plate. Serve with custard or ice cream.