Chicken, Pork & Herb Pie
FOR THE PASTRY:
- 450g (14oz) plain flour
- 100g (3½hoz) unsalted butter, chilled and chopped
- 125g (4oz) lard, chilled and chopped
- 1 medium egg yolk
FOR THE FILLING:
- 8 boned and skinless chicken thighs
- 375g (12oz) pork sausages
- 175g (6oz) smoked lardons or cubed pancetta
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3tbsp chopped parsley
- 1tbsp chopped sage
- 1 egg, beaten, to glaze
- 200ml (7fl oz) chicken stock
- 3 leaves gelatine
- Pulse the flour, butter, lard and ½ tsp salt in a food processor until it forms coarse breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and enough water for a firm dough. Chill for 1 hour.
- Cut the chicken into 1cm (½in) pieces. Skin the sausages and crumble the meat into a bowl. Add the chicken, lardons, lemon zest and herbs. Season.
- Heat the oven to 170°C (gas mark 3). Grease and line the base of a raised pie mould or 18cm (7in) round cake tin with removable base. Reserve a third of the dough for the lid.
- Roll out the rest of the dough to a thickness of 7mm (½in) and line the tin, pressing firmly into place, smoothing any pleats and leaving a little overhang. Add the filling. Roll out the remaining dough to form the lid. Press into place, dampen the edges with beaten egg. Cut a 2cm (¾in) hole in the lid.
- Decorate with any remaining pastry. Brush with the beaten egg. Bake for 1½ - 2 hours, covering with foil if the pastry starts to colour too much. Leave to cool in the tin. Heat the stock. Soften the gelatine leaves in a little water, squeeze them and add to the stock, stirring until dissolved. Pour the stock into the pie through the hole in the top. Chill for 24 hours before serving.