Crossing the river bridge by bridge
The Segura River, as it passes through the city, separates it into two parts and its course is marked by numerous bridges and walkways. We suggest a pleasant walk along the river along its bridges and walkways surrounded by gardens.
The Malecón footbridge, also known as the Manterola footbridge
Built in 1997. It is known by the name of the architect who designed it, Javier Manterola. Its semicircular shape simulates the mast of a ship. It is a unique footbridge in the world, its beauty and originality standing out in the night light. The bridge overflies the historic weir that used to back up the flow of the river to allow water to flow to two mills whose ruins are on either side.
It joins the two banks of the Segura, in the area of the Malecón and the Carmen neighbourhood with Verónicas and the Almudí.
The Old Bridge or Bridge of Los Peligros
It is the oldest bridge in Murcia, built in 1741. It was paid for with the taxes collected from silk. It is also known as Puente de Los Peligros because of the niche at the end of the Carmen neighbourhood, where the image of the Virgen de Los Peligros can be found. It is a viewpoint over the river from which there is a beautiful panoramic view.
The Miguel Caballero footbridge
It is a reinforced concrete bridge built in 1970 and supported by three cylindrical central pillars. It is named after Miguel Caballero, the engineer and mayor at the time it was built.
It is also known as the Martillo bridge, as it ends at the most prominent part of the Episcopal palace, "El mirador del Martillo", right next to the Licenciado Francisco Cascales secondary school.
The Iron Bridge or New Bridge
The Puente Nuevo or Puente de Hierro is a metal bridge with parabolic beams over the Segura River. It was designed in 1894 and completed in 1903. As it was the second urban bridge built in the city of Murcia over the river, it was called Puente Nuevo (New Bridge) to differentiate it from the Puente Viejo (Old Bridge), despite the fact that it is now the second oldest in the city.
This bridge was built in iron following the fashion imposed by the Eiffel Tower, erected in Paris in 1889 for the Universal Exhibition. As its beams could not withstand the current amount of traffic, since 2003, after being reformed by the engineer and architect Javier Manterola, it has been exclusively pedestrianised.
Hospital or Calatrava Bridge
The Hospital Bridge was built in 1973. It owes its name to its location in front of the old General Hospital of Murcia, currently the Reina Sofia Hospital. It is now known as the Calatrava Bridge because its current design is due to the engineer Santiago Calatrava, who renovated it between 1994 and 1999, converting it into a modern structure made of glass and steel, with two lateral passages for vehicles and a central pedestrian area. It connects the Murcian neighbourhoods of Vistabella and Infante.
Jorge Manrique Footbridge
Santiago Calatrava is also the author of another crossing over the Segura River, the Vistabella or Jorge Manrique pedestrian walkway, which links this neighbourhood with the Infante neighbourhood. It stands out for its design and the use of avant-garde materials in which the glass floor stands out. Its geometry is reminiscent of the prow of a ship, acquiring great aesthetic value with the night lighting.
At the end of the river axis stands the Fair Bridge and the Auditorium and Congress Centre.
A large part of the route takes place in the gardens of Teniente Flomesta and Vistabella
The route along the bridges of the Segura River as it passes through Murcia takes place on the left bank, crossing the gardens of Teniente Flomesta, also known as Jardín Chino and Vistabella. They date back to the 1960s and have their origins in the old Ruiz Hidalgo Park which occupied the groves of the Segura River as it passes through Murcia. The garden has two parts separated by the New Bridge, and along its route we can contemplate specimens of large trees such as Tipuanas and Jacarandas.