Spaghetti frutti di mare
- 500g spaghetti
- 200ml dry white wine
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- Pinch of saffron
- 500g live baby clams or cockles, scrubbed clean (discard any with cracked shells)
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, cut into 1cm wide strips
- 400g baby squid, cleaned and cut into rings
- 400g raw tiger prawns, peeled
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water, according to the packet instructions, until al dente.
- About 8 minutes before the pasta is ready, pour the wine into another large saucepan and add the shallot, garlic and saffron. Bring to the boil and cook vigorously for 1 minute, then add the shellfish, cover and cook over a high heat for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the streaky bacon in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until crisp. Set aside.
- Add the squid and prawns to the clams, shake the pan well, then cover and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, until all the shells have opened. Discard any that do not open.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pan, add the seafood and liquor, a splash of oil, the parsley and some black pepper. Toss well and divide between bowls. Spoon over the crisp bacon and serve while sizzling hot.